I’m making a scarf in my nephew’s soccer team colors to serve as a prize for a team fundraiser. I know that likely a woman will win the scarf, that it needs to be sporty, black and purple, and I’ll be stitching it in Universal Deluxe Worsted.
The saga continues as I think about a pattern. Here’s what I’m thinking:
- stripes are sporty
- I’d rather it be more feminine than unisex though
- Not too lacy, soccer games get cool
- Not too dense a fabric, I want it to be comfortable.
- Not too hard… I want to stitch it QUICK!
- Should I do Tunisian?
- Should I make motifs?
- Should I make rows length-wise or across?
- Maybe a seed stitch type thing?
- Something that will accommodate 2-3 colors…
Time to get out the stitch dictionaries and sketch pad…
I’m going to choose:
- To work lengthwise in rows
- Add some gentle waves rather than straight rows
- Use black sparingly so that it makes the most impact
- Focus on the purple because it is more feminine than black and maybe more flattering in general. It also makes it more obviously a team accessory.
- Make it long enough to double but not too wide.
Come back next Monday for the final installment of the Soccer Scarf Saga!